Before we worked Weight Watchers a couple years ago--which is a great program on which I lost thirty pounds sitting on my butt all day as I must--I would sometimes get a hankering for one of my grandma's tuna salad sandwiches on white bread, with mayo, chopped up olives and onions, and always served with greasy Wise potato chips on the side. Not very waistline friendly, but I certainly wasn't worried about that at six. Asha craved Subway tuna subs when she was pregnant with Wren. One six inch tuna sub has a whopping 30 grams of fat--most of which comes from mayo and other condiments. I was determined to create a healthier recipe.
We spent the better part of two years actually 'counting points' as per the Weight Watcher's regimen. During this time I lost what I actually believe was a craving for fat. I don't like mayonnaise anymore. I really can't even stand the sight of it. The sight of Jon Stewart attempting to down Baconnaise on The Daily Show (this is hilarious, don't miss it: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-june-17-2009/heal-or-no-heal ) makes me confused about whether to laugh hysterically or run and lose my dinner.
Here it is. I declare this better than the mayo made version.
Ahnna's No Mayo Tuna Salad
Serves 2
1 7-oz can of tuna
1/2 cup of fat free sour cream (more or less depending on taste)
2 tablespoons capers
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 shredded carrot (optional)
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion (optional)
Put everything into a bowl and mix with a fork until well blended.
You can certainly serve this on bread as sandwiches, although I prefer really crunchy crackers, like Wasa whole grain crisp bread.
I don't even know if they still make Wise potato chips anymore--although I think they're better left to memories in my case.
Enjoy in good health.
No comments:
Post a Comment