Saturday, June 14, 2014

Perimenopase--The Things No One Tells You About It

Perimenopause is the time before the body reaches full menopause where menstrual periods stop, just so we're clear. Medically, you are not considered to be menopausal until you have been period free for a year. Perimenopause is a condition that I am finding not many people talk about, and if they do so, they do so uncomfortably--like the ER doctor who saw me a year ago when I had my first bout of 'flooding' which scared the crap out of me. He did a cursory pelvic exam, told me I was just getting old, and sent me home. That was a 4-hour middle of the night ordeal after which I was put on birth control pills, which actually worsened my symptoms. I had an ultrasound. This caused a visit to my specialist who did an endometrial biopsy--and she told me to stop taking the hormones that my other doctor had prescribed. Well meaning as my primary doc was, she hadn't realized that I was not menopausal. My blatant symptomology was just beginning at age 50.

I'm writing this blog because I just discovered last night--a year into my journey--that consumption of even small amounts of alcohol can cause flooding in some women at certain times in the flow which for many of us has ceased to be a regular cycle. I noticed that for two nights in a row I had shocking bouts of flooding just before bedtime. During the day it cleared to mostly what I would call heavy spotting, but these two nights were truly spectacular. It didn't take me long to realize that the one thing I do in the evening that I never do in the day time was my cocktail hour (great, just when I need a drink it's the thing I have to give up...). Let me just say that if you're a man reading this and you're thinking TMI, stop reading. If you're a man reading this because a woman you love is going through perimenopause--good for you. It's easy to get sick of this shit. I'm married to a woman, and she's sick of my griping and staining everything in sight. She's sick of my bouts of crabby exhaustion, and my volaltile moods. In tears one night because of flooding so heavy I only had a good 15 minutes between rushing to the bathroom to change everything, I did some research on the Internet and found the blog of this blessed woman: http://menopause.tripod.com/lblanchsite/meno/bleeding.html. She confirmed my suspicion about the alcohol. Alcohol apparently increases estrogen levels (does this explain why so many babies are conceived after romantic dinners with alcohol involved?). When our bodies are failing to regulate themselves with regular cycles and ovulation, menstrual flow is apparently regulated by some wacky stuff.

I'm not a doctor, or a medical professional. I'm just writing an experiential blog. You should not miss any scheduled checkups especially during this time. You should not hesitate to involve your doctor if you have symptoms that are worrisome or bothersome or affect your quality of life. At the very least the doctor may need to rule out things that might be going on, such as cervical or uterine cancer. The biopsy I had was only mildly uncomfortable and hugely reassuring.
I may still talk to my doctor about more permanent solutions, such as ablation, but NO ONE mentioned to me the connection between the alcohol and the flooding, and no one mentioned to me the possible anti-inflammatory benefits of taking NSAIDS during periods of flooding (see above blog). I would have thought that would make matters worse. I think we need to be informed, even anecdotally, so we know what to speak with our doctors about.

With love,
Ahnna

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You have JUST answered the question why my last period (about two months ago) was SO horrible! I had been coming in at night and enjoying a Margarita, and I thought during my period, it would actually help me relax. Apparently not because I had one of the worst perimenopausal periods I've ever had, and LOTS of flooding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me start by saying I went through perimenopuase starting at 38, ending at 46 when I had my hysterectomy. I had a lot of flooding even without the alcohol, but then it turns out I had a lot of fibroids. I tried ablation, which worked briefly, but then discovered that due to the shape of my uterus, it didn't take well. I ended up having the hysterectomy after ALL options had been explored and tried. I still take a small, infrequent dose of hrt to take care of my hot flashes at 52. This is what works for me, only. Every woman, and every experience is different. I wish I didn't have to take the hrt, but the hot flashes are unbearable if I don't.

    ReplyDelete